Wednesday 9 November 2011

A Very Frugal Christmas

It’s that time of year again! The weather is getting warmer, the thunder storms have started, plans are being made, magazines are full of festive recipes and Christmas crafts, and the shops are stocking up on turkeys, ham and other goodies. Christmas is on its way!

Anyone who knows me at all knows how organised I like to be. I have 2 diaries, I always know exactly what I’m doing each day of the week, and I am an avid list maker. I have lists for everything- shopping lists, appointments to be organised, phone calls to be made, errands to be run, jobs to be completed, wish lists for the house and garden, birthday and Christmas present ideas- you name it, I probably have a list for it. My list making goes into overdrive during the Christmas period. It’s such a busy time of year, with so much to organise, I have to get everything written down.

Last year, I have to admit, I bit off more than I could chew. I decided that I was going to make all my Christmas presents. This decision, on top of all our family Christmas dos, dinners, lunches, catch ups, concerts, visiting relatives, a heavily pregnant SIL and subsequent arrival of my niece, and general motherly duties with a 9 month old, meant that I ended up with too many late nights cooking, sewing and wrapping and ended up at the doctors, a week before Christmas, sick and burnt out. I saved money sure, and everybody loved their handmade goodies, but it wasn’t worth the stress and effort.

This year I have gone with a different approach. Knowing that I have a little added stress this year, hosting our traditional family Christmas lunch for the first time, hand made gifts have gone by the wayside. Instead, anything handmade will be in the form of baked goods in hampers and a delicious Christmas lunch. That’s it.

I love Christmas. It’s my favourite time of the year, but it does tend to stress me out. So, after much thought, I have produced another list; my tips for a very frugal, yet stress free, Christmas…

1.      Start planning early. Start your Christmas shopping as early as possible. Start in January! Buy things on sale and put them away in a cupboard. As an Advisor selling books and games for The Learning Ladder, I get a substantial discount. So, for the last six months I’ve been buying up presents for my family. I have most of my Christmas gifts already, stored in Little Lady’s wardrobe. Don’t leave your shopping until the last minute. You’ll end up stressed and cranky, wandering the shopping centres with other stressed and cranky people, you’ll overspend and end up impulse buying. If you still haven’t done any shopping for this Christmas, I recommend making a list, setting aside this Saturday for shopping, get the kids babysat and just go and do it. There are still sales on, and you still have time to shop around.

2.      Same goes for hosting any Christmas celebration. Plan early, make lists of the food and supplies you’ll need, pick things up on special and store them in the freezer or cupboard. I made my lists a couple of weeks ago and have been buying one or two Christmas items each week. That way you won’t blow your budget.



3.      Start cooking NOW! Bake and freeze. Make one thing each week and pop it into the freezer. Christmas cakes, puddings and mince pies are better when made in advance anyway. Another good idea is to make a few casseroles and other dinners and freeze them. These are handy for those nights when you race home only to race out the door again for another Christmas drinks party or supper. At least you know your family will be fed something healthy and substantial with minimum effort.



4.      You will save money by making your own Christmas presents. However, this will take a lot of time. Only attempt this if A. you are a crafty person and B. you are able to start early. Like, in June. Otherwise don’t bother.



5.      Two words- Kris Kringle. Every large family should do it. I’ll be suggesting it for next year.



6.      You do not have to provide all the food for Christmas get togethers on your own. Work out how much food you need and get everybody to bring one thing to contribute. For example; this year on Christmas Day at my house Grandma will bring the turkey (already cooked), Mum and Dad will bring potatoes for roasting and mixed berries as an alternate dessert, Pa will bring ham, Uncle 1 will bring salad veggies from his garden, Brother and Partner will bring cheeses and crackers, Uncle 2 will bring drinks. Which leaves me to make ice cream, shortbread, mince pies and some dips (which can all be made ahead of time) and some other roast veggies for the main meal. I’ll also make up 2 large bowls of punch, much cheaper than buying bottles of soft drink.



7.      Take your time, spend your money wisely and organise your time so that you’re not run ragged with other commitments.



And enjoy this special time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment