Monday 17 October 2011

Back to the Dark Ages

The other day our microwave died. I didn’t think that this would be a huge problem when it happened. I fact, I naively thought that we could probably get by without it for quite some time. After all, I didn’t really use it that much!

Turns out our microwave is a big part of our lifestyle, particularly my new frugal lifestyle! Reheating leftovers and softening butter for cooking takes a lot longer on the stove top, as does making porridge for Little Lady’s breakfast. Ditto for defrosting. I can’t warm up any of my delicious scones and muffins that I’ve made without using the oven and waiting for ages, and cooking vegies and rice in a matter of minutes is no longer an option. I feel like we have returned to the dark ages!

Now, I know that frugal living is about getting back to the basics. I know they didn’t have microwaves when my grandma was raising her family, and she probably got along just fine without one. But, I don’t believe that frugal living should be at the cost of basic human comfort. There are frugal women out there who wash their hair with vinegar and baking soda so they don’t have to buy shampoo. All power to them I say! But it’s not for me. I think if I use my money wisely enough everywhere else, then I am entitled to a lovely hot shower using my all natural, sweet smelling, essential oil filled, indulgent shampoos, conditioners, cleansers and body washes. Even if they do cost a little more.

The fact is, frugal living is also about simplifying life, and my microwave helps me to do that. So, it’s off to the shops we go!



Before I sign off for today, I’d just like to do a few shout outs to some wonderful friends who have been so supportive and encouraging with my new frugal lifestyle. Jess, who has provided me with a long list of frugal recipes to try, and has also offered to let me steal some patterns for children’s garments so that I can try them out on Little Lady; Sarah, who has given me the details of a brilliant, cheap butcher where I can buy meat in bulk; Serena, who has given me some great advice on how to get my vegie garden up and running again; Liz, who has offered to take me to the South Melbourne market and show me the best places to buy fresh produce; my sis-in-law, who is full of tips and advice from all the forums she follows, and is always willing to share; and my own forum friends at Down to Earth. Thanks everyone! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment